The High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine has acquitted former First Deputy Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration, Volodymyr Orlov, in a case concerning an alleged request for a bribe.
Investigators claimed that the ex-official had asked for $200,000 in exchange for facilitating the lease of 19 hectares of forest land (Part 4, Article 368 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine). The case involved a private company that intended to use the land plot for recreational purposes.
Fifteen months passed between the moment Orlov was formally notified of suspicion and the verdict. Finally, on February 11, he heard the long-awaited word: “not guilty.”
Judge Larysa Zadorozhna acquitted Orlov due to the failure to prove the elements of a criminal offense in his actions. Below are excerpts from the former official’s comments.
On the acquittal and expectations
“The situation was long-awaited. The last year and three and a half months became a real nightmare for me and my family. What surprises me most is that anti-corruption bodies could have clarified all these nuances at the pre-trial stage and closed the case due to the absence of a crime. Instead, we see that in our law enforcement system, what is ‘desired’ is controlled, not what is necessary.
This is a case with no victims, no bribe object, and no damages. While the country has many urgent cases, since May 2024 law enforcement officers have been engaged in this fabrication, and the court had to spend a year sorting through it.”
On appeal and alleged political motives
Although the full text of the ruling has not yet been received, the anti-corruption prosecutor’s office has already announced plans to appeal.
“I worked in government bodies and understand they ‘cannot not appeal,’ but what are they fighting for? I’ve said it before: this is an order. They assumed political or corrupt responsibility simply to prevent me from living and functioning normally.
I was told I would definitely be found guilty. I am convinced there were attempts to influence the judge, because if the case was literally ‘about nothing,’ the pressure must have been appropriate. But I am pleased that the court weighed my words against those of a Russian fraudster with a tarnished record — and mine proved more convincing.”
On the complainant and “agents on the hook”

Orlov stated that the main witness in the case was allegedly a Russian citizen with multiple convictions, who also appears as an applicant in several other cases handled by National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine.
According to him, this individual continues cooperating with the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office and appears as a witness in multiple proceedings.
On future plans and reputation
“We will continue defending our honor and dignity. If the appellate instance adopts a biased decision, I will go to the European Court of Human Rights.
As for reputation — at first it was everywhere: ‘Orlov, bribe, 200 thousand.’ It was strange and absurd. After the acquittal, it felt like my birthday. Even those who had distanced themselves started calling. Of course, there is still hate — people say, ‘He’s a bribe-taker who got away with it.’ But let them show me one person who can say that something can be ‘fixed’ in this court. The judge made her decision based on the facts and evidence presented by the defense. She was convinced that I was in no way guilty of what I was accused of. Thank you.”
Earlier reports stated that there was no actual transfer of money in the case, no proven damages, and the key witness was described as an “agent provocateur.” Orlov has maintained from the beginning that he was the victim of a politically motivated case.