South Korea has proposed direct talks with North Korea
South Korean President Lee Jae-myung called on North Korea to come to the negotiating table and agree to end the war between the two countries. He also proposed discussing ways to halt Pyongyang’s nuclear program and pledged to work toward the peaceful coexistence of the two Koreas.
Lee Jae-myung made this statement on August 15 during a ceremony marking the 81st anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japanese colonial rule. The South Korean president called on Pyongyang to cease mutual threats and move toward direct dialogue. “Let’s set aside our threats against one another and begin negotiations to end this long-standing war as the parties directly involved,” Lee said.
According to him, during such negotiations, the countries could discuss not only ending the war but also specific ways to halt North Korea’s dangerous expansion of its nuclear capabilities. Lee emphasized that his goal is to bring about an end to the war and replace the current armistice system with a stable peace.
The two Koreas are still technically at war
The Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953. It ended not with a peace treaty, but with an armistice. That is why North and South Korea are still technically at war.
Pyongyang signed the armistice agreement with the United Nations Command. South Korea refused to sign the document because the country’s government at the time wanted to continue the struggle for the reunification of the Korean Peninsula. Now, Lee Jae-myung says he wants to put an end to this situation and create the conditions for lasting peace.
Pyongyang has not yet responded to the proposals
Lee Jae-myung has spoken of the need for dialogue with North Korea since taking office last June. At the same time, Pyongyang has yet to show any willingness to support such initiatives. Last year, in his Liberation Day speech, Lee stated that South Korea would respect the DPRK’s political system and would not attempt to absorb the North in the process of unification.
He also promised not to take hostile actions against North Korea. However, Pyongyang has effectively not responded to these statements. This year, the South Korean president again called on the two countries to reduce tensions and begin gradually moving away from confrontation. “I hope that South and North Korea will meet face-to-face and agree on peaceful coexistence and mutual growth,” Lee said.
The President Wants to Create a Security System
Separately, Lee emphasized the need to establish a multi-tiered security system that would help prevent a new escalation between the two Koreas. According to him, such a system should reduce the risk of crises and help the parties gradually transition from confrontation to cooperation.
“I will transform the energy of hostility and confrontation into a driving force for peaceful coexistence and mutual growth. By encouraging a positive response from the North, I will create a stable Korean Peninsula,” the South Korean leader stated. At the same time, it remains unclear whether Pyongyang is ready to respond to Seoul’s latest call for talks, according to Yonhap.