$ 44.69 € 52.19 zł 12.1
+30° Kyiv +19° Warsaw +21° Washington

The Brisbane Lions coach expressed his sympathy to the Sydney Swans following the scandal

Lev Shevtsov 22 August 2026 02:53
The Brisbane Lions coach expressed his sympathy to the Sydney Swans following the scandal

Brisbane Lions head coach Chris Fagan said he sympathizes with the Sydney Swans following the suspension of five of the club’s players for the remainder of the season. The teams are likely to face off in the Australian Football League qualifying final at the SCG in Sydney, according to ABC News Australia.

On Thursday, Sydney suspended Isaac Gini, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bays, and James Jordan for “violating club standards.” Separately, police are continuing to investigate the events that took place early Monday morning at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne.

Swan coach Dean Cox distanced himself on Friday from any blame for the incidents at the hotel. Team captain Callum Mills stated that the five players had let the club down. Sydney FC chairman Andrew Pridham previously said that the sanctions imposed by the club would significantly harm the second-place team’s chances of winning the championship.

For more breaking news, follow the UA.News Telegram channel.

“Brisbane” has virtually secured third place after defeating “Collingwood” by a margin of 63 points. “Gothorn” could still overtake the “Lions” on percentage points with a big win over “West Coast.” The third-place team in the standings will face a weakened Sydney, while the fourth-place team will take on the regular-season leader, Fremantle.

Fagan noted that he hadn’t discussed the situation in Sydney with his players specifically, as the significant media coverage surrounding the incident makes the consequences of rash actions obvious. At the same time, he suggested that the personnel losses could bring the opponent closer together, and that the players who earn a spot in the lineup will play with greater determination. The coach called the situation surprising and added that “Sydney” had long been an exemplary club in this regard.

Sydney also denied claims that more than five players were in a hotel room in East Melbourne on Monday. In the match against North Melbourne, the suspended Sydney players will be replaced by James Robott, Harry Cunningham, Angus Sheldrick, Kayden Cleary, and Tom Henley. The men’s game will take place after the AFLW match between Sydney and Essendon as part of a doubleheader.

Read us on Telegram and Sends

Download our app