A flight from Paris was rerouted because of a passenger from the Congo
An Air France passenger plane en route from Paris to Detroit was forced to change course and land in Canada after the U.S. denied it permission to land. The reason was information about a passenger from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where an Ebola outbreak has been reported. The incident caused a wave of concern on board. This was reported on May 21 by the British media corporation BBC, citing the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The Air France plane, which was flying from Paris to Detroit, unexpectedly changed course and was diverted to Canada after U.S. authorities denied it entry due to the presence on board of a passenger with ties to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where an Ebola outbreak is currently underway.
According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the decision was made under entry restrictions for non-U.S. citizens who have recently been in countries where there are risks of dangerous infectious diseases spreading.
The flight crew responded to the change in circumstances promptly, put on masks, and informed passengers of the route change several hours before the scheduled landing, which sparked a wave of questions and tension on board. “I think a fair number of people were probably asking what was going on, because 30 minutes later, the captain came out again and said he wanted to confirm that everything was fine with the plane, there were no technical problems, and that this happened solely because U.S. authorities did not allow us to land,” passenger Deborah Mistor told CBS News.
Subsequently, as reported by Air France, the flight was diverted to Montreal, and only after that were the passengers transported to Detroit via a different route to complete their journey.
CBP clarified that the restrictions apply to people who have been in regions of Africa where an outbreak has been reported in recent weeks, specifically the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, and Uganda, as these territories remain in the zone of heightened epidemiological concern.
The World Health Organization previously declared the current Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, emphasizing that risks to other regions of the world remain manageable but require constant monitoring. According to the WHO, dozens of suspected cases and confirmed infections have already been reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and medical experts warn that the spread of the virus may be more difficult to contain than in previous years due to the geography and the rapid emergence of new cases.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stated that the risk of the infection spreading to the U.S. remains low, but additional safety measures are being implemented as a precaution to avoid any potential threats.
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has released new data showing a rapid increase in sexually transmitted infections and recording record numbers for several key diseases