Albanese Criticized the AFL for Its Response to the Scandal at the "Sydney Swans"
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said that the Australian Football League (AFL) needs to “do better” in light of the scandal surrounding the Sydney Swans. He criticized the league’s initial response, emphasizing that women’s safety should have been the top priority.
On Wednesday, the Sydney Swans suspended five players for the remainder of the AFL season: vice-captain Isaac Gini, Chad Warner, James Jordan, Riley Bays, and Nick Blakey. They were suspended for violating club standards regarding alcohol consumption and bringing women to a hotel.
According to ABC News Australia, detectives from the Victoria Police Sexual Crimes Unit have traveled to New South Wales and are investigating reports of possible sexual assault. According to ABC, the case involves an allegation that one of the players allegedly touched one of the women without her consent. No arrests have been made and no charges have been filed in the case so far.
For more breaking news, follow the UA.News Telegram channel.
Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlic said Monday that the club is looking into the circumstances of the incident and conducting an internal investigation. The following day, AFL Chief Executive Andrew Dillon called the allegations “deeply concerning.”
Albanese also noted that the Australian National Rugby League has a no-fault suspension policy for such cases. The Prime Minister stated that the AFL and the Sydney Swans must carefully assess their club culture.